Sunday, June 5, 2011

Last night as I was rocking Gavin to sleep my mind drifted to many conversations that God and I have been having lately.  As he traced my hand with his little fingers I kept thinking of Kirill Davis and how he soon would be tracing his Mommy's fingers. God has not only worked a miracle in getting him into his forever home but has changed so many hearts. Mine for one. 

 So is that what God needs me to do, change peoples hearts?  If so, how? Awareness?  Do people even know so many children are out there needing loving forever homes? Do people still believe that Down Syndrome is a bad thing? How do I make people aware?

Taken from Reece's Rainbow:

In Central and Eastern European countries alone (this would include Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Romania, etc, but NOT Russia), there are more than 1.5 MILLION CHILDREN who have been abandoned by their families for one reason or another and are living in "public care" (that's the nice way to put it).  If statistically, 1 out of every 733 live births results in a child with Down syndrome, that means at any given time there are 2,046 children with Down syndrome who need families.  THAT'S JUST IN EUROPE!!  Some do not survive because of serious medical complications…some do not survive because of lack of medical attention, lack of food, lack of LOVE. 
In Russia, there are over 700,000 children waiting for families, meaning at least 955 children with Down syndrome wait, languishing.  In ASIA (China, Hong Kong, Korea, India), there are 3,572,000 orphans, with nearly 5000 children with Down syndrome who are unwanted.  Many of those children are killed at birth.    The "lucky" ones end up in orphanages and foster care situations.

Did you do the math?  I did, approximately 8000 children with Down Syndrome are needing homes.  My heart is heavy just knowing that children just like Gavin are abandoned just because they are not what the parents expected.  My heart wonders what should we expect?  What I do know is that Psalm 127:3 states "Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him".

It is a reward and a BLESSING.  My prayer today is that hearts will begin to change.  That everyone will see that any child is a blessing, a "reward". 


No comments:

Post a Comment